Target 8: The conservation status of all migratory species, especially threatened species, has considerably improved throughout their range.
See separate Indicator Factsheets document.
► The MoU concerning the conservation of the Manatee and small cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia: Action Plan for the conservation of small cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia (WAAM MoU) includes:
Objective 5 - Research and Monitoring:
• Standardised data collection form.
• Mechanism for reporting and recording of opportunistic data.
• List of priority topics and areas for research agreed.
• Species guides developed or adapted and disseminated.
• Regular contact, e.g. by means of an email discussion group, among scientists and agencies involved in small cetacean conservation and other relevant issues.
• Non-lethal research on abundance etc. carried out concerning small cetacean species targeted in subsistence hunting and live capture.
• Relevant cetacean datasets identified, national databases established and metadata accessible.
• Online regional sighting database established and operational.
• Knowledge of distribution and species inventories for Range States improved in quality and by addition of further species.
• Number of cruises to estimate abundance of small cetacean species completed.
• Species information and ID kit assembled and distributed.
• Incorporation of small cetacean expertise to conduct sightings and research activities in cruises dedicated to other purposes (e.g. rapid ecological assessments).
• Increased reporting level for small cetaceans from opportunistic sightings.
• At least one remote sensing device deployed in the region for at least six months.