Target 6: Fisheries and hunting have no significant direct or indirect adverse impacts on migratory species, their habitats or their migration routes, and impacts of fisheries and hunting are within safe ecological limits.
See separate Indicator Factsheets document.
Theme 3 - Threat Reduction:
• Improved catch reporting systems.
• System of collecting data from fishing operators on by-catch and depredation developed and used.
• Properly tested depredation/mitigation techniques.
• Increased adoption of mitigation techniques by fisheries.
• Improved reporting and recording of direct take data/information.
• Management system in place, e.g. management plans, policies, regulations etc that ensure sustainability of species stocks.
• Adoption of international regulations/agreements applied to capture activities.
► The Memorandum of Understanding concerning the conservation of the Manatee and small cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia - Action Plan for the Conservation of small cetaceans of Western Africa and Macaronesia includes:
Theme 3 - Ecosystem and Habitat Protection:
• Workshop conducted and report available.
• Liaison with regional fishery bodies and NGOs.
Theme 4 - Threat Reduction:
• Sustainable principles applied to any direct take, and international regulations and agreements applied to capture activities.
Objective 1 - To stabilize argali numbers and range and reverse negative trends:
• Trophy hunting operations follow international good practice (IUCN 2012) Quotas are scientifically based and sustainable.
• Process for setting quotas, licences and allocating concessions is transparent.
• Community involvement in trophy hunting programmes.