The new Parties are:
- Slovenia: Situated between the Alps and the
Adriatic Sea, in the Mediterranean basin, this country
has a remarkable diversity of landscapes and a wealth
of natural areas in a good state of preservation.
- Kenya: This country has well preserved natural
areas, which many species use during the breeding season
as well as in the off-season and as stop-overs.
- United Republic of Tanzania: As this country
is known for its large populations of wild animals the
accession of Tanzania to the Convention is a welcome
- Latvia: This country hosts important bogs and
other well preserved waterfowl habitat, and is thus
a major stop-over for migrating geese and waders.
The Secretariat received the informal or official
notice that the Parliaments of the following countries adopted
laws of accession to CMS:
- Republic of Congo
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
In a number of other countries the governmental
/ parliamentary process of accession to CMS is in an advanced
stage, eg. Albania, Bulgaria