The IOSEA Marine Turtle MOU is coordinated by the Secretariat of the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS). The Secretariat was established to assist communication, encourage reporting and facilitate activities between and among Signatory States, sub-regional institutions and other interested States and organizations. Its functions include:
- organization of the Meetings of the Signatories (MOS), of the Advisory Committee (AC), of sub-regional Task Forces and initiatives, and any specific workshops requested by the Signatories
- support to Signatories, the Marine Turtle Task Forces and the Advisory Committee
- gathering and dissemination of national reports and other pertinent information
- collaboration with relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations
- development and maintenance of the IOSEA Marine Turtle MOU website and other outreach and communication tools
Until 2016, the Secretariat was based in Bangkok at the UN Environment Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP). In 2017, following the retirement of Douglas Hykle, the office was moved to the CMS headquarters in Bonn, Germany, and Heidrun Frisch-Nwakanma took on the function of Coordinator.
The Coordinator is a member of the Aquatic Species Team and reports to its Head, Melanie Virtue, and the CMS Executive Secretary, Bradnee Chambers. She also receives support as required from the CMS Adminitrative and Financial Unit, the CMS Conference Service Team and the Joint CMS + AEWA Communications, Information Management and Outreach Team.
IOSEA Marine Turtle MOU Coordinator & CMS Aquatic Species Team
(time dedicated to the MOU: 80%)
CMS Executive Secretary
Head, CMS Aquatic Species Team
IOSEA Marine Turtle MOU
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1
Any vacancies for staff or consultants at the UNEP/CMS Secretariat are advertised at the UN Careers Portal. Please note that recruitment is only possible through this portal.
Internship at the UNEP/CMS Secretariat
An internship at the UNEP/CMS Secretariat provides a good opportunity to gain experience in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment, as well as in the day-to-day functioning of an Multilateral Environmental Agreement (MEA) Secretariat.
The UNEP/CMS Secretariat offers interships to qualified university graduates or students, enrolled in a tertiary course of study, interested in gaining experience in the areas of:
- Environmental and political sciences
- International studies
- Any other area related to the work of the Secretariat
Internship - Areas of Work
Interns are supervised jointly by the professional staff of the Aquatic Species Team, supporting them with particular tasks. Some examples are:
- Assistance with preparations and servicing CMS and MOU meetings or workshops
- Research in preparation for reports, documents or publications
- Assistance with outreach and education, incl. website content
- Other support to the day-to-day operations of the Secretariat
Internship – Facts
Depending on places available, the UNEP/CMS Secretariat offers internships for a period of 3 – 6 months, beginning at any time. The Secretariat is located at the UN Campus in Bonn, Germany.
Internships are not remunerated – all expenses must be covered by the intern or a sponsoring Government or institution. Written confirmation of enrolment in an appropriate health insurance scheme and in an university must be provided in advance.
Internship – Requirements and Application Procedure
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’ s level or equivalent), or be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent or higher), or have graduated with an university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation
- The working language of the Secretariat is English; full ability to work in English (written and spoken) is required. Knowledge of further languages spoken in the Agreement Area is an asset
- Interns should have standard computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Interns need to agree with the scope of tasks before the start of the internship
For further information contact the UNEP/CMS Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.