The objectives of the Conservation and Management Plan are achieved through the Dugong, Seagrass and Coastal Communities Initiative.
The Dugong, Seagrass and Coastal Communities Initiative’s objectives are:
- To enhance community based stewardship at key sites for dugongs
- To replace destructive fisheries practices with environmentally sustainable practices
- To increase the availability of critical knowledge for conservation action for dugongs and seagrasses
- To mainstream dugong and seagrass conservation priorities into national and regional policies and planning
To achieve its objectives, the Initiative aims to:
- Coordinate conservation efforts across over 40 countries
- Raise awareness of key threats to dugongs and seagrasses
- Develop and apply an innovative “Incentive Tool Box for Conservation”
- Generate positive change to safeguard dugongs and seagrasses
- Provide access to the world’s best technical and conservation expertise
- Facilitate capacity building for conservation
- Seek funds for dugong and seagrass conservation programmes
Tools and lessons learned are shared across the dugong’s global range to provide insights and guidance for the successful global conservation of dugongs and their seagrass habitats.